Wednesday, April 30, 2008

CAH

Dr. Lewis called today with the results of Cooper’s test. It came back that he does have CAH. When they tested him with the chemicals that would stimulate the adrenal glands, his body did not make the Cortisol that it should have, but rather made more testosterone – indicating that he does have CAH. We will now be running tests to see how the Cortisone that we have been giving him is working, and begin the process of regulating the amount of medication he will need to take. Dr. Lewis will also be checking once more for the salt wasting hormones to check that he continues to process that part of his body correctly. We will return to Riley to meet with her on May 28 to learn the specifics of his treatments. In the event of an emergency when he could not keep the Cortisone down, we would have to give him an injection – which they will be teaching us about at that appointment.

I thank God for all of the incredible things that He has done for us. I can stay home every day with my 2 amazing and beautiful children! I am grateful that this is a treatable illness with simple daily medication, that this is the most common form of CAH, that he is a boy, that we have him (praise the Lord!!!!!), and that with the medication he will live a "normal" life. (As normal as any child of ours could be.) He can play any sport he wants – something non contact would make me feel better, while his dad keeps on talking about the Colts! God is sooooo good!

Thanks to an anonymous comment on my previous blog about Cooper, we found a great web sight/organization that has lots of information about CAH if you are interested in learning more. http://www.caresfoundation.org/ I’m sure it won’t be long before I am an expert on it!

Thank you, again, for your continuing prayers. I’m sure before I know it, he will be climbing all over and finally be able to defend himself from Grace! ~shelby

Tummy Time!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear that Cooper's treatments will be able to keep him safe and healthy. Thank god for the miracles of modern medicine. I'll be keeping you guys in my thoughts and prayers, and am looking forward to seeing Cooper sometime soon!

Jennifer said...

Praising God with you! I can't wait to see how God will use all this to shape Cooper into the man He has created him to be. Prayers will continue!